Setting proper encoding with MT

I am using MovableType for my WebLog. First I tried to post Japanese or Russian text I found that all characters converted into HTML-Unicode which is bunch of &# and digit codes, e.g. if I enter my name in Japanese アナトル or in Russian Анатолий it’s was converted into something like &# 26085; on the entry screen. At the same time the page was displayed correctly on the public site itself.


I asked on MovableType forums, but wasn’t getting much insight. After looking at the MT code a bit and figuring how it deals with text conversion and html headers I found two settings that were looking promising.
NoHTMLEntities 1
PublishCharset Shift_JIS
Uncommenting the NoHTMLEntities didn’t help.
However by uncommenting the second one and setting charset into utf-8 I’ve resolved my problem completely. It allows me view and edit English, Japanese and Russian texts like bliss.
However if you find something funny with encodings please let me know.

This entry was posted in This Site, Web Publishing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>